• 1 (4 - 5) Pound chicken, cut up in 6 - 8 pieces.
• 4 dried pasilla chilies
• 4 dried mulato chilies
• 6 dried ancho chilies
• 2 Cups boiling chicken stock
• 3/4 Cup blanched almonds
• I Cup onions, chopped
• 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1/2 Cup lightly packed seedless raisins
• 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
• I tortilla, broken in small pieces
• I Teaspoon finely chopped garlic
• 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground canela cinnamon
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground coriander seeds
• 1/2 Teaspoon anise seeds
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
• 6 Tablespoons lard
• 2 Cups cold chicken stock
• 11/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
Heat 4 tablespoons lard in 12" - heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until almost cooked through approximately 20 - 25 min. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Drain any excess lard.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the mole. Prepare the chilies using the method described. In a large bowl, pour 2 cups boiling chicken stock over the prepared chilies and soak them for about 30 minutes.
Blend the almonds in a blender until they are completely pulverized. Force the nuts through a sieve and return them to the blender with the chilies, their soaking liquid, the onions, tomatoes, raisins, 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds, tortilla, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, anise seeds, salt and-pepper, and blend at high speed until the mixture is reduced to a smooth puree.
In a heavy 10 - inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the lard over medium heat. Pour in the mole and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the cold stock and the chocolate. Cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate has melted. Cover the skillet and set it aside off the heat. Return the chicken to the skillet. Pour the mole sauce over the chicken, turning the pieces in the sauce to coat them evenly. Cover the skillet and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Arrange the pieces of chicken on a heated platter and pour mole sauce over them. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds. Makes 6-8 servings.