This Cinco de Mayo try a meatless soft taco recipe that's loaded with vegetables, so it Lisa low-fat and high-fiber recipe. You will also get a good serving of protein from the beans. The tacos are stuffed with sauteed vegetables and topped with smoky salsa. Serve with rice and salad for a complete meal.
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 1 Medium red onion, chopped
• 1 Cup yellow summer squash, diced
• 1 Cup zucchini, diced
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced
• 4 Medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1 Jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
• 1 Cup fresh corn kernels
• 1 Cup canned pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 8 corn tortillas
• 1/2 cup smoke-flavored salsa
• Black olives
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the summer squash and zucchini, and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, corn kernels and beans. Cook 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Add cilantro and remove from the heat.
Heat a dry, large pan over medium heat. Not a non-stick pan. Add 1 tortilla to hot pan and heat until softened, about 20 seconds per side.
To serve, divide the tortillas among individual plates. Spread an equal amount of the vegetable mixture on each tortilla. Top each with 2 tablespoons of the salsa. Serves 8.